Discovering skills is one of the focuses of Customized Employment. Working with Tanis, it didn’t take long to identify that he has some serious cooking skills.
Tanis used these abilities to open his own business in February of 2017, A Cut Above Catering. What have been Tanis’ secrets to success? A strong business plan, proper certification in Food Safe Handling, incredible family support and of course, tasty food!
Personal Genius: Tanis is both passionate about and highly skilled at cooking.
Self-Employment: Tanis operates his own catering business, A Cut Above Catering. He independently prepares food and loves to visit with the guests enjoying his culinary delights.
- Tanis has established a strong partnership with the Lakeland Brewing Company, catering a monthly event. The largest event had over 100 people in attendance.
- Tanis caters luncheons and aims to schedule 1-2 per month.
- His favourite foods to cook are Ukrainian and French Canadian. Upon request, he served Ukrainian food at a booth for the local Canada Day festivities and it was a huge hit!
- Tanis expanded his business to include “Muffin Moments”, a weekly service delivering fresh baked muffins to local businesses.
- Tanis operates his business out of rented space at Portage College. This space provides storage for equipment and access to commercial kitchens.
- With business booming, it is possible that Tanis will need to hire additional serving staff, but for now his parents are happy to help Tanis serve up success.