We are a charitable provincial organization celebrating 40 years of service excellence. Our mission is: To provide specialized services to individuals with disabilities or barriers to employment by creating opportunities for skills development, education and employment.
We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and approximately 85% of EmployAbilities staff has a disability.
Our head office is located in Edmonton, but we also serve the communities of Cold Lake, Bonnyville, Lac La Biche, St. Paul, Athabasca and Vegreville.
EmployAbilities began operations in 1972 under the umbrella of the Edmonton Social Services for the Disabled to address issues of employment, transportation and housing. There were three separate agencies evolved: Alberta Committee of Disabled Citizens, Handicapped Housing and as we were known then…..Employment Services for the Physically Disabled.
We incorporated as a registered charity in 1974.
EmployAbilities provides services to:
– Individuals with disabilities, medical conditions and barriers to employment, using a person centred approach
– Employers, acting as a liaison to encourage employment opportunities, as well as assistance with human resource issues
– Community at large, promoting and building awareness of employment for persons with disabilities
(World Health Organization)
A disability is defined as a functional limitation or restriction of an individual’s ability to perform an activity.
It refers to difficulties with daily activities and the reduction in the amount or kind of activities due to physical, mental conditions or health problems.
– 14.3% Canadians have a disability
– Disability rates increase with age
– 7 out of 10 pwd have difficulties related to mobility, chronic pain, hearing & vision
– 59% identify as mild to moderate disability
– 45-64 age group, largest psychological disabilities (Stress, sandwich generation)
– Disposable annual income of 25 billion!
WHAT WE DO & HOW WE DO IT
We help individuals:
– Find a job
– Identify specific employment goals
– Explore skills training opportunities
– Identify job leads
– Through exposure to employers
– Through interview supports
– Supports on the job
SERVICES TO EMPLOYERS
We are Human Resource Specialists that help employers:
– Develop successful strategies to employing individuals with disabilities
– Attract, screen and refer candidates
– Assess work-site accommodations
– Provide on the job supports
– Provide training and resources on disability topics